Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Terrific Twenties

I have just one more week to enjoy being in my twenties.
Then thirty is going to hit me like an unwanted zit on prom night.

I discovered my first white hair this year. Ask Aaron, I freaked out on him in KL. The coffee didn't help. It's embarrassing to admit, but I felt like crying that night. Then I felt like laughing too, because white hair or not - here was another 'first'.

I didn't pluck the white hair out, and I check on it once in a while to see how it's doing... like an unofficial pet. Perhaps, like my left breast - I shall give my solitary white hair a name. Suggestions?

*Derailment* I wonder what I'll one day name my solitary hair. At least now I still have the pleasure of adding the adjective 'white'... to discern one strand from all the rest. I have 'the rest' to feel blessed about.

My twenties have been fabulous and so much has happened in these ten years. I've had lots of firsts...

  • First drunken binge
  • First serious long-term relationship
  • First time contemplating marriage
  • First time contemplating marriage to a same-sex partner
  • First white hair
  • First sexual encounter involving more than two persons
  • First nervous breakdown
  • First speech at a wedding
  • First visit to the psychiatrist
  • First plane ride out of Malaysia
  • First hamster and rat pets
  • First newspaper article about me (and mum and Nanny too)
  • First same-sex relationship
  • First holiday in East Malaysia
  • First time appearing as a VO and acting talent (haha laughable actually)
  • First time I've lived away from my parents
  • First tattoo
  • First mmorpg experience
  • First time I quit smoking & drinking
  • First car (that's mine)
  • First Chigger (I've always had Chigger, but it was the first time I thought of giving it a name)
  • First D&D character making it past level 3
  • First career change
  • First blog

... the list is endless isn't it? There's a blessing in every one of those firsts and I wouldn't have done anything different. However, that doesn't mean to say that I'd relish having seconds or thirds where some of the things on that list are concerned.

*Derailment: While I'm contemplating the last week of my twenties. My brother is probably 'not' contemplating the last 22 days of his thirties. The bastard. (I mean that fondly)

I can't remember who it was that said to me recently, "Why do we need to have white hair to be seen as having wisdom?" Well, since I recently removed my first wisdom tooth, perhaps this as yet unnamed white hair has come to strike a balance on the wisdom scales. Mwah haha.

Well I don't know what the Thirties will hold for me, but I'll make sure there's a whole bunch of other 'firsts' to add to the list. Among them would be: First degree, first holiday in a country with seasons & first business.

But in the meantime, I'm grateful that in 7 days, it WON'T be my first great party with the people I care about MOST in this world.

Having fir
sts are great. Having more of the same with you guys makes me feel unbelievably blessed.


I'll see you guys soon!
Forget the party hats.
Bring the booze, an appetite
& a willingness to tea-party like the Edgar-ator!

12 comments:

  1. well well well...
    some people say life begins at 30, or was it life begins at 40?
    anyway...Happy Birthday to you and Ian (my gawd, he is gonna be 40?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks man. If you're in Penang on Saturday the 10th, give me a call yeah? The party's not at Mum's place, I'll need to give you directions - it's still in Tg Bungah tho.

    And YUP. Ian's turning the big 40. :P Still a big kid tho, and I love him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Gayle!

    Time to bring out ze yellow in you on the upcoming party again :D

    P/S: Errr...Fon i'm sorry for the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. don't think I will be in Penang... :(
    does Ian have a blog? if he does, what's the url?

    btw...me no have blog (if u need to know)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ian? HAHAHAH
    Nolah, he doesn't blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well, Happy Birthday! :D

    Life begins at 30 after all, then it begins a completely different cycle at 40, 50, 60.... and when all ur hair turns snow white like my aunt's (the Ks get white, never bald ;)) you can safely say by then that life goes on :D

    here's to wishing you have everything you dream of, and then some. cheerios! *downs a shotgun* ;)

    oh, in case you're wondering, rom sent me here to check out ur edgar-ator. i'm the one you called a female version of your cuz >.< (that's what he said u said anyway)

    he said, u said, she said, he said, i said. whatever. HAPPY BIRTHDAY! if i look as good as u do at 30, i'd be happy enough :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why, thanks babe! :P

    He's MY Edgarator now, huh? MWAHHAHAHA. Jobe, you hear that? *poke* MIIIIIIIINE

    I've had quite a few concerned people approach me about this post.. "Are you okay? 30 not so bad lahhhh.."

    At which time I realised - I'm actually not upset about being 30, just about getting white hair - cause that means more money now to freakin' dye it.

    haha, besides. I'm just a drama queen, plain and simple. I feel emo for 2 minutes, it gets blogged and becomes immortalised - then people question me and I'm like, "Huh? Wha? Oh I was over that years ago babe!"

    And yeah - I'm enjoying my last few days of being in my twenties. Which is not the same as saying that I won't enjoy being 30. HAHA. Heck, I think I'm gonna enjoy it more than my twenties cause honey let's be frank... I've had some dubious early years spent being afraid of my own bloody shadow.

    So apart from the white hair and the sagging tits, my 30s are gonna be a blast... and I shall blossom and my friends shall proclaim... fark, she just gets more and more blatant with age doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  8. ;) with age comes the opportunity to be as blatantly outrageous u can possibly be. :P

    if anyone tells u: age before beauty,
    u can always retort: pearls before swine :D
    methinks the caustic Dorothy Parker said that. it's priceless anyhow, whoever said it. can always borrow it for acidly crushing putdowns :D

    oops! did i just say that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, btw. no worries about the dye. another excuse to spend money on urself... and call it the things vain women do :D

    many more colours to try. so u can put up on ur blog 10 years from now:

    in my thirties, i had many firsts:
    1. first letsshootbarneypurple hair.
    2. first electric emoblue hair.
    3. first duriangreen hair.
    4. first monkeyorange hair.
    5. first ohmygodurerapingmyeyes aka fuchsia pink hair.
    6. first pleasefuckmeimsoredhot hair.

    did i miss any more outrageous colours? ;)

    yes, i am VERY bored at work....

    ooh!! 6pm, time to go. muaxxxxxes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. *rolling on the floor laughing*

    My personal favourite would have to be the ohmygodurerapingmyeyes fuschia pink..... but it's such a close tie-in with pleasefuckmeimredhot... or is that pleasefuckmetillimsore red.

    mwahha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose as a last resort when budgets are low, I could always resort to the

    lookatmeimgandalf white mane

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh, right... should be: pleasefuckmetillimsore red.

    i do like duriangreen. go for kickass spikes for full effect. sure to be a traffic stopper.

    can stand in as traffic lights if u dye ur hair 3 colours :D

    can drive fon nuts too :D:D:D coolios!! sounds like a plan :D

    :D

    rom is ssssooooooo screwed :P he already wonders if this is 'komplot maut'. *evil grinz*

    ReplyDelete